People often think they would like to win some big lawsuit that let them stop working forever. In reality, no one really wants to need a workers compensation law firm. The sad fact is that many people are injured or made ill on the job. Most cases are caused by slips and falls at work. It has been estimated that a full 85% of these cases are caused by accidents on slippery falls. If you have had such an injury, you may not really understand what your rights are.
- Despite the fact that most states require companies to have workers compensation insurance, the lion’s share of cases are denied by insurance carriers. These decisions can be appealed but it is a long and complicated process and many people give up without getting the help they deserve and are entitled to. Hiring a good workers compensation attorney can make all of the difference in the world. Here are some reasons to talk to a workers compensation law firm about your case:
- They can explain the system. Unless you have been through the process before, it can seem strange and convoluted. You need an experienced and qualified professional to help you navigate the terrain associated with the workers compensation process. Even if you know someone else who has been through this, having a good workers compensation law firm on your side can help up the chances you will get what you deserve to get your life back on track.
- They can help determine what workers compensation benefits you will deserve. After you have been injured, .you may not really understand how much you are entitled to get from your employer. A lot of this will depend on how severe the injury was and how much you need to recover. For example, the amount of time most people end up staying home from work after a slip and fall injury is about three weeks. For more serious injuries, you may need more time off. Your workers compensation lawyer can help you determine what level of benefits you can receive.
- They can make sure you get everything in on time. There is a lot of paperwork involved in any kind of claim such as a workers compensation claim. A lot of it is very involved and takes a lot of time. There are also deadlines that you will not want to miss. Anytime you do not get something in on time can mean a delay in your case. As simple as it may sound, having an experienced workers compensation lawyer to help with this can make a big difference in your case and your stress level.
- They can hire outside experts to help with your case. If you are injured on the job and there are a lot of people who see it, you may not need to look for experts and others to back you up. If you are hurt off site, the insurance carrier your employer uses is going to do anything they can to make it look like your injury was your fault or that it does not fall under the “workers compensation” definition. if that is the case, you will need a good lawyer on your side to get the right experts to tell your side of the story.
- They can represent you in court. If you go to court, you will have a much better shot of getting the outcome you want for your case. The majority of these cases never seen the inside of a courtroom but if you find that you have to go to one, it is always good to know that you have an experienced lawyer to back you up and support you. They will also make sure you are totally prepared for what happens in court. This can help give you more peace of mind.
The whole process of filing a workers compensation claim, dealing with your employer and your employer’s insurance carrier can be very exhausting and very stressful. Hiring a good workers compensation law firm can make it all go much smoother and let your focus on what you need to do.