So you have been injured through medical malpractice. Whether it is a head injury, brain injury, wrongful death, or any other type of bodily injury it is imperative to hire a medical malpractice attorney. Here are some things to know before you do so.
1. There are two types of malpractice lawyers, those that fight for the patient’s rights and those who defend the doctors who are being sued. If you are injured, look for a plaintiff’s attorney to ensure you have the most knowledgeable attorney available.
2. When looking for a medical malpractice attorney, make sure to know if they have handled cases similar to yours. As it is a very specialized field, you should look for an attorney who has the most experience as possible in situations relating to your ailments. It is also imperative to make sure the lawyer has good standing with the Bar Association of your state.
3. Don’t forget to ask for references. References are great to learn about a lawyer’s trustworthiness and success rate. If they do not offer you references, it is a major red flag and you should take your business some place else.
4. Don’t believe everything they say. There are many lawyers out there who will promise you big things in order to win a case. The law is never the same twice, so be wary of attorneys who promise a win, and/or a specific amount in monetary settlement. A reasonable lawyer should always give their clients reasonable expectations, so if your gut says your lawyer is trying to take advantage of you then it is probably right.
5. Double check their fee policy. You need to make sure the lawyer is straight forward with their fees, so ask for a contract so there are no surprises down the road.
6. Always be honest. Your medical malpractice attorney is there to help you win justice for the injuries you have sustained. It is crucial to be an open book whenever you talk to them, so they are clear on everything that happened. If you have any medical records, make sure to bring them to your consultation so your lawyer will have as much evidence as they can.
You deserve justice in your medical malpractice lawsuit. Call an attorney today and get the settlement you deserve.